Why There Will Never Be Another Yuvraj Singh
# **Why Yuvraj Singh Will Always Be My Favourite Cricketer – The Last Hero Who Made Me Fall in Love with Cricket**
Some people ask me,
**"Since when have you loved cricket?"**
I smile.
Honestly, I don't even know.
Maybe before I was born.
Maybe even when I was still in my mother's womb.
I imagine hearing loud cheers echoing through the house as the men in my family celebrated another Kapil Dev spell or an Imran Khan masterclass. My uncles passionately debating who was greater—Viv Richards or Sunil Gavaskar, Malcolm Marshall or Michael Holding, Dennis Lillee or Jeff Thomson, Allan Border or David Boon, Javed Miandad or Imran Khan.
I was born in **1985**, right in the golden age of cricket.
It wasn't just a sport.
It was our family's religion.
---
## Cricket Was in My Blood... It Was Our Family's DNA
The **Mirsinge Khaandaan** didn't just watch cricket.
We lived it.
Every discussion eventually became about cricket.
Every Sunday somehow ended with cricket.
Every child dreamed of becoming a cricketer.
My uncles themselves played local cricket, and I followed them everywhere. I would stand near the boundary line, watching every delivery as if it were a World Cup final.
Even as a toddler, I copied my heroes.
I tried to bowl like **Wasim Akram**.
Sometimes like **Waqar Younis**.
I tied handbands on my head pretending to be **Dennis Lillee**.
I made scary faces while bowling like **Curtly Ambrose**.
I even secretly applied my mother's Nivea cold cream on my nose because **Allan Donald** wore white sunscreen on his face.
To me...
That wasn't acting.
That was living my dream.
---
## My First World Cup Memory...
The first World Cup I truly remember is **1992**.
Those days there was no cable television.
Only one family in our neighbourhood owned a giant satellite dish.
Whenever India played, half the locality gathered at their house.
We sat on the floor for hours.
Children.
Uncles.
Grandparents.
Nobody cared about comfort.
We only cared about cricket.
I still remember **Jonty Rhodes running out Inzamam-ul-Haq.**
Even today I can replay that moment in my head.
I still remember Wasim Akram's magical reverse swing in the final.
That World Cup created memories that will stay with me forever.
---
## Every Empty Ground Became Lord's
Like every Indian kid...
we never waited for proper cricket grounds.
Every open space became a stadium.
Every lane became Eden Gardens.
Every terrace became the Wankhede.
Every empty plot became the MCG.
Our mohalla's *bacha party* knew every corner where cricket could somehow be played.
Broken windows.
Lost tennis balls.
Arguments over LBW.
One-tip one-hand catches.
Brick wickets.
Plastic bats.
Those weren't problems.
Those were childhood treasures.
---
## The 90s Belonged to Sachin... But Something Was Missing
Of course...
Sachin Tendulkar was everybody's hero.
Mine too.
Watching him bat was poetry.
But if I'm honest...
India wasn't yet a team that scared the world.
Most victories depended on individual brilliance.
Azharuddin played magical innings.
Vinod Kambli showed flashes of genius.
The famous **Sohail-Prasad** confrontation in the 1996 World Cup became legendary.
Sachin's unforgettable **Desert Storm** innings in Sharjah felt unreal.
But consistent match-winning performances as a team?
They were rare.
Pakistan had stars everywhere.
South Africa had Klusener, Kallis, Pollock and Donald.
Australia were becoming an unstoppable machine.
India still searched for someone who could change games single-handedly.
Then...
everything changed.
---
# His Name Was Yuvraj Singh.
The first time I saw Yuvraj Singh, I knew he was different.
He wasn't just talented.
He had swagger.
Confidence.
Fearlessness.
He looked like someone who enjoyed pressure instead of fearing it.
This young Punjabi kid had something special.
---
## The NatWest Final Changed Indian Cricket Forever
The NatWest Final wasn't just another match.
It changed Indian cricket's mindset.
Until then...
India often accepted defeat.
But Yuvraj Singh and Mohammad Kaif refused.
That chase taught an entire generation that India could fight.
India could believe.
India could win impossible matches.
And for the first time...
I felt we had found someone who could win matches with bat...
ball...
and fielding.
---
## Fielding Was Never India's Strength...
Until Yuvi Arrived.
Before Yuvraj and Kaif...
Indian fielding was ordinary.
Sometimes frustrating.
But these two youngsters transformed everything.
Suddenly diving saves became common.
Direct hits mattered.
Running between wickets became electric.
Energy replaced hesitation.
The attitude of Indian cricket changed forever.
---
## Six Balls... Six Sixes... One Legend
If someone asks me,
"What is the greatest over in cricket history?"
I don't need to think.
England.
2007.
Andrew Flintoff sledges Yuvraj Singh.
Wrong person.
Wrong day.
The very next over...
Stuart Broad walks in.
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Six.
Every ball disappeared into the crowd.
Six sixes.
Pure anger.
Pure timing.
Pure dominance.
That wasn't batting.
That was revenge.
That was history.
That was Yuvraj Singh.
---
## The Man Who Won India Two World Cups
People rightly celebrate Dhoni's captaincy.
But let's never forget...
Without Yuvraj Singh...
India probably doesn't lift the **2007 T20 World Cup.**
Without Yuvraj Singh...
The dream of **2011 World Cup glory** may never have come true.
Runs.
Wickets.
Catches.
Energy.
Leadership.
He did everything.
He wasn't simply Man of the Tournament.
He became the heartbeat of Team India.
---
## Then Came The Biggest Battle Of His Life
Cancer.
Even writing that word feels heavy.
Imagine representing your country.
Winning the World Cup.
Then discovering you're fighting for your life.
Most people would have disappeared.
Yuvraj fought.
Quietly.
Bravely.
Painfully.
Then...
he came back.
Every comeback innings after cancer felt bigger than any century.
Because he wasn't only fighting bowlers anymore.
He had defeated death itself.
---
## Behind The Smile Was A Tough Childhood
Over the years, listening to Yuvraj speak about his life made me admire him even more.
His parents' divorce.
His strict father, Yograj Singh.
The pressure.
The expectations.
The emotional struggles.
Later came marriage.
Fatherhood.
Life beyond cricket.
He never pretended life was perfect.
That honesty made him even more relatable.
---
## Perhaps Test Cricket Never Did Justice To Him
Many people say Yuvraj underachieved in Test cricket.
Maybe.
But circumstances also mattered.
How do you permanently enter the middle order when your competition is...
Sachin Tendulkar.
Rahul Dravid.
Sourav Ganguly.
VVS Laxman.
Four legends occupying every available spot.
Yet despite limited opportunities...
Yuvraj still produced unforgettable Test innings whenever he got rhythm.
His true kingdom, however, was white-ball cricket.
There...
he wasn't just good.
He was legendary.
---
## Wherever Yuvi Played... I Became Their Fan
Punjab.
Pune.
Royal Challengers Bangalore.
Sunrisers Hyderabad.
Mumbai Indians.
It didn't matter.
I supported whichever jersey Yuvraj wore.
Because I wasn't following a franchise.
I was following my hero.
His IPL career had ups and downs.
But every time he walked out to bat...
I still believed something magical could happen.
---
## Cricket Has Never Felt The Same Again
I've watched every phase of Yuvraj Singh's career.
Every rise.
Every injury.
Every comeback.
Every celebration.
Every tear.
And perhaps that's why...
after his retirement...
cricket slowly stopped feeling the same.
Yes...
I still watch important matches.
I still celebrate India's victories.
But that excitement...
that childlike feeling...
that urge to never miss an innings...
left with Yuvraj Singh.
For me...
cricket lost a little bit of its soul.
---
# There Will Never Be Another Yuvraj Singh
Statistics can never measure what Yuvraj Singh meant to millions of fans.
He gave us belief.
He gave us unforgettable memories.
He gave us courage.
He gave us entertainment.
He showed us how to fight.
On the field.
Off the field.
Against opponents.
Against cancer.
Against life itself.
Many great cricketers will come.
Many records will be broken.
Many World Cups will be won.
But heroes like Yuvraj Singh are not created every generation.
They arrive once.
Leave millions inspired.
And become immortal in the hearts of those who watched them.
For the world...
he may simply be one of India's greatest white-ball cricketers.
But for me...
he will always remain...
**the reason cricket became more than just a game.**
He became an emotion.
And some emotions...
never retire.
Comments