The Day My Little Farm Saved My Family
The Day My Little Farm Saved My Family
There are some days in life that quietly begin like every other day, only to end up changing you forever.
Last Sunday started exactly like that.
It was a lazy Sunday morning. I was sitting in the living room watching FIFA World Cup highlights on television, reliving some of the greatest football moments. The house was peaceful.
A few minutes later, my three-year-old daughter, Afiyah, woke up from her sleep. Still rubbing her tiny eyes, she slowly walked out of the bedroom looking for me. There is something incredibly comforting about the way little children search for their parents first thing in the morning. Without saying much, she climbed onto the sofa beside me.
"I'm hungry," she whispered.
I smiled, brought her a small plate filled with nuts, biscuits, and a few chips, along with a glass of warm milk. She happily settled down, switched from football to YouTube Kids cartoons, and started enjoying her own little Sunday.
It was one of those ordinary family moments that we often take for granted.
A little later, our housemaid arrived for her regular cleaning. She asked us to move into the bedroom so she could sweep and mop the living room.
We all walked inside.
My wife was there with our six-year-old son, Bilal. We sat together, laughing as I fed them little pieces of egg and bread—our version of "Anda Pav," as the kids lovingly call it.
Life felt perfectly normal.
And then...
BOOM!
A deafening explosion-like sound echoed through the house.
The ground shook.
For a few terrifying seconds, it felt as if the entire building was collapsing around us.
Without thinking, I ran towards the living room.
What I saw is something I will never forget.
Our maid was standing frozen in fear, crying and trembling uncontrollably. The entire room had disappeared inside a massive cloud of dust. I could barely breathe or see anything.
The ceiling had collapsed.
Large concrete plaster slabs had crashed onto the floor.
Broken tiles...
Shattered tube lights...
Bent ceiling fans...
Damaged furniture...
Children's toys buried beneath the rubble...
Our beautiful living room had turned into a disaster zone within seconds.
Yet, amidst all the destruction, one miracle stood out.
Not a single member of my family was there when it happened.
Just a few minutes earlier, we had all been sitting in that very room.
Had the maid not asked us to move into the bedroom, the story I am writing today could have been very different.
Alhamdulillah.
Allah protected us.
No amount of money can replace a human life.
The following days were exhausting.
Masons.
Carpenters.
Electricians.
Painters.
Cleaning workers.
Every day brought another repair bill, another unexpected expense. The savings I had carefully built over time started disappearing faster than I could imagine.
Within a week, I found myself running short of money.
I had to make one of the hardest decisions I've made in years.
I decided to sell every animal on my little farm.
My four beloved goats and sheep.
The healthy lambs I had raised with love.
My beautiful Merino sheep.
My Patira goat.
Animals that had become part of my daily life.
It wasn't a business decision.
It was an emergency.
There was no time to wait.
So I sold them quickly, almost like a clearance sale, accepting prices much lower than what they truly deserved. Within just two or three days, they were all gone.
The sale brought me around ₹60,000.
Enough to continue repairing my home.
Friends who saw the photos and videos of the collapsed ceiling told me, "Someone was watching over your family."
I don't know why Allah chose to protect us that day.
But I found myself reflecting on something deeply personal.
Perhaps the kindness we show to His creation never goes unnoticed.
For years, I had cared for those animals—not because they were simply livestock, but because they were companions. Feeding them, treating them when they were sick, grooming them, spending time with them after work... they had become a part of our family.
Maybe that care, that responsibility, that small act of kindness toward His creation carried blessings I could never measure.
I cannot say for certain.
Only Allah knows.
But I do know this...
Even when they left me, they helped me one final time.
Their sale gave me the money I desperately needed to rebuild my home.
In a way, they continued taking care of my family until the very end.
Today, the cages stand empty.
The mornings are quieter.
There is no gentle bleating when I step outside.
No curious faces waiting for food.
No soft wool to run my fingers through.
No little eyes following me around the farm.
I miss them far more than I expected.
People often think animals are just animals.
But those who have loved them know the truth.
They become family.
They become routine.
They become memories.
And when they leave, they leave behind a silence that feels surprisingly heavy.
Insha'Allah, this is only a temporary goodbye.
One day, when life settles down and Allah opens new doors, I hope to fill my little farm again with furry friends.
Until then...
Thank you, my beautiful companions.
Whether through the joy you brought into our lives or the help you unknowingly gave us during our most difficult week, you will always hold a special place in my heart.
Some wealth sits inside bank accounts.
Some wealth walks on four legs.
And sometimes, the richest blessings in life don't speak a single word.
Alhamdulillah for every blessing, both given and taken away.
Comments